Ailsa Brims: statement and exhibitions
I explore the voids and liminal spaces in our minds that may feel uncomfortable. Liminal spaces are those that are neither one thing nor another, they are marginal, on the edge, and can be insecure and unstable. Consequently, it can be uncomfortable and a dangerous place we are scared to cross, but crossing is transformative, we leave something behind and have a new start.
My practice is focused on realising the somatic feelings and experiences of being a professional woman over 50. Due to the diverse nature of these feelings, I work intuitively with different media or genre depending on what I need to convey.
When I feel strongly about something, I will make a piece of art to explore it, in an effort to understand myself and grow.
I divide my time between being a data analyst in Portsmouth, a web designer and my art.
In 2016 I gained an MA Fine Art.
Imagine waking up one day and everything you thought you knew about yourself had changed. Going through the menopause was a frightening experience, nothing worked like it used to, my tastes had changed, my mind had changed, my body had changed, everything was alien and on top of that, I now/also felt invisible to the wider world.
‘Not my body, not my mind’ is a series of works that explore of the terror of waking up changed and my two year journey to find out who I now was.
“I was a stranger to myself” Tori Amos
My practice focuses on realising the somatic feelings and experiences of being a professional woman over 50. Due to the diverse nature of these feelings, I choose different media or genre depending on what I need to convey. If I feel strongly about something, I will make a piece of art to explore those feelings, in an effort to understand myself. Often working at the edges, liminal spaces and liminal times are dangerous, uncomfortable, chaotic places.
- Turning the Tide – group exhibition with Peninsular Artists at Explosion Museum, Gosport.
- Hampshire Open Studios at Yellow Edge Gallery (August)
- Peninsular Artists annual group show at Yellow Edge Gallery (September)
- Associate Artist group show at Yellow Edge Gallery (November)
- Layers group exhibition at Sticks Gallery, Gosport.
- Group exhibition with Peninsular Artists at Jack House Gallery, Old Portsmouth – Not my body, not my mind.
- MA & Postgraduate Exhibition at the Atkinson Gallery, Somerset.
- “Universe within” series at Lakeside 1000 with Artspace Portsmouth.
- “Do not crush the daisy” at Artspace Portsmouth.
- Portsmouth Cathedral – “Finding Peace” -supported by the Cathedral and Arts Council England.
- MA Fine Art Degree Show Exodus – Portsmouth Historic Dockyard
- Black Swan Arts 1000 postcards
- Spice Island Art Trail
- Portsmouth creative census
- Diving Museum – Underwater Exhibition
- MA Interim Show
- University of Portsmouth University of Portsmouth Mail Art collection
- Footsteps to the Square – Portsmouth Guildhall
- Footsteps to the Square – (solo exhibition of photography) Portsmouth Guildhall
- My world of pictures – a series of pictures using the medium of a website to exhibit them.
- Reflecting Gosport
- The Art of Loneliness – book of poetry and street photography.